Wednesday, June 13, 2012

NYC: Baked by Butterfield

Unfortunately the local news had to announce that it was national doughnut week recently, and it induced a craving frenzy that I could only control by succumbing to it. After a quick search I realized that I would need to make my way to Chelsea at some point to visit Doughnut Plant. But my craving called for faster action, and I found a little shop called Baked by Butterfield that just recently opened. Of all things, they make doughnuts that are BAKED and not FRIED. Now, to be honest I have a bit of a problem with this since a baked doughnut is really a small circular cake, but I wasn't in the mood to be choosy.


I bought two doughnuts so that I could have a sampling: Salted Caramel and Creme Brulee. I also got an unsweetened black iced tea which was a little weak for my taste.


The Creme Brulee doughnut had a torched sugar top that looked lovely, and it had no hole (channeling a jelly doughnut) and was filled with a creme brulee-type custard. I had one bite and it was nice, but after trying the Salted Caramel doughnut I couldn't go back to it. The Salted Caramel doughnut had a very thick chewy caramel coating and you could really taste the salt. It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment