Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lemon, Garlic & Herb Chicken

I can be pretty scrappy sometimes, and I just threw this together with the ingredients I had on hand in my fridge. It is the perfect example of how easy it is to make healthy, delicious food in a snap!

Scrappy.
We all know boneless, skinless chicken breasts aren't known to be exceptionally flavorful, but if you use fresh herbs and let it marinate over night you'll be pleased with the results. I happened to use basil because that is what I had on hand, but rosemary is one of my favorite herbs to pair with chicken.

If you are cooking 2 or more chicken breasts, you can just double the recipe (no need to triple it for 3 chicken breasts, etc).

Lemon, Garlic & Herb Chicken
  • 1 Boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1/4 Cup olive oil
  • 1/2 Lemon
  • 2 Garlic cloves
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh herbs (I used basil), chopped
  • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
Pour the olive oil, salt and pepper into a shallow container large enough to hold the chicken breast. I had half of a partially squeezed lemon left over, so in addition to adding the remaining juice to the marinade I also sliced the lemon and threw it in the dish for extra flavor. If you're using rosemary I recommend zesting the lemon for even extra flavor.


Chop the garlic and herbs and add to marinade, mixing everything together.





Add the chicken breast, flipping so that it is evenly coated. Don't leave the slices of lemon directly on the chicken, it's best for it to sit on the olive oil. Marinate overnight for best results, flipping at least once.


When you're ready to cook the chicken, scrape off the extra garlic and herbs from the chicken so it doesn't burn, and add a little extra salt and pepper to each side of the breast.



I cooked mine on a grill pan by heating the pan and cooking it for about 6 minutes on each side.


Voila! Healthy and full of flavor. Great with a side of your favorite veggies or you can tear it to add to a wrap or salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment