Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Marblehead, MA & Lots of Lobster

Well, I haven't posted a recipe for a while but it's because I was busy stuffing my face with seafood in Marblehead, MA to celebrate my parent's 30 year anniversary. I think that is a halfway decent excuse! So since I wasn't able to cook for myself I made sure to eat as much delicious food as possible and document it every bite of the way.

My sister and I put together some healthy afternoon snacks for us to enjoy, which is easier said than done when you just have a butter knife from the B&B to cut veggies and fruit!


The first restaurant we went to was Jack Tar, and it was incredible. We started with a crab and lobster egg roll which was basically an egg roll stuffed with crab cake and chunks of lobster. It was served on a bed of crisp coleslaw that was tossed with a sweet and sour sauce. What a genius idea! No dipping sauce, you just ate the egg roll with the dressed slaw and it was fantastic. I ate this too fast to take a picture so my sister had to remind me to take pictures for the next two courses.

We shared seared scallops and edamame risotto for our main, it was fantastic. The scallops were super fresh, I can't wait to makes some at home!


For dessert we had creme brulee with strawberries which was wonderful but I think could have used some vanilla bean in the custard.

And the winning dessert for the night- chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream. Perfection.


We decided to get Italian one night and were not disappointed. We were started off with the best bread rolls we've ever had at a restaurant. Perfect crisp crust with a doughy inside that almost reminded us of a pretzel.


Pear, blue cheese, walnut and prosciutto salad was delicious. I took off most of the prosciutto but left a couple of the crispy beauties on top, whoops.

And the main dish was linguini and clams, can you believe this was a half portion? It just goes to show that portion control is easy if you just restrict what you put on your plate in the first place! This was super tasty because the clams were local and fresh, though the dish could have used some more parsley and garlic, and maybe a little heat. I saw some red pepper flakes, just couldn't taste them!


On our last night we wanted to be sure to have some steamed lobster to help celebrate my parent's big 3-0 anniversary. But I also saw oysters on the menu and couldn't pass them up. My sister and I decided to get them steamed and the waitress had never heard of such a thing! Poor northerners must not know what they're missing without southern oyster roasts. She gave us melted butter and said she was clueless on what she was supposed to serve the steamed oysters with! We let her know cocktail sauce, vinegar, lemon and saltines are perfect. These oysters were fresh and incredible.


Lobsta! I actually prefer their meat chopped up and nestled in a bun, but I think that is mostly because they freak me out a bit. I'm a crab legs kind of girl!



There was a local shop that had amazing lobster rolls for just $15, it was so good we went there twice for lunch on the trip! My sister made me share one with her, that was my only complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment