Monday, May 14, 2012

Classic Black Bean Soup

Maybe it's because I've just been in Manhattan for a few months after several years in sunny South Carolina, but I still enjoy these cool, rainy May days.  It's the perfect excuse to make a big batch of soup. I am a huge fan of making homemade soup. It's one of the easiest way to make  a big meal full of flavor that tastes even better the second day... a perfect one pot meal that provides delicious leftovers!

I've probably made this soup more than any other recipe. It's full of protein and packed with vegetables, and the ingredient list isn't going to break the bank especially because it relies so heavily on your pantry. This is the first time I've ever measured the seasoning, and I typically tweak it depending on what I have, adding more gradually in layers as I taste the soup.

Black Bean Soup
  • 2 Onions
  • 2-3 Carrots, peeled and trimmed
  • 2-3 Salks of celery, trimmed
  • 3-4 Cloves of garlic
  • 1 Heaping teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 Teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2-3 Bay leaves
  • 1 Veggie Bouillon Cube
  • Water (or broth, but don't use the bouillon cube if you use broth)
  • 3 Cans of black beans
  • 1 Can of black-eyed beans
  • 1 Can diced tomatoes

Dice the onion, carrots and celery. Saute the onions for a few minutes in olive oil until they start to get soft, then smash the cloves of garlic to peel them, then smash them a couple more times until they're almost broken apart and add to the onions. Add the celery and carrots and cook a couple more minutes. Then add the seasonings and stir, let the mixture cook a couple more minutes. I like my onions soft and the other veggies a little crunchy in this soup.

Pour the beans into a strainer and rinse thoroughly with water until it no longer bubbles- nobody likes gassy beans. I just had black beans in my pantry so I ended up just using 3 cans of black beans. I like flexible recipes! Add the beans and tomatoes to the sauteed vegetables and pour water until it covers the bean and vegetable mixture completely. Let simmer for 20 minutes or so. Be sure to taste to see how the seasoning is, and add more as needed.


I really enjoy eating this with fast garlic toast. I typically always have sliced wheat bread or bagels in the freezer and that works perfectly for this. Just take a frozen (or not, of course!) piece of bread or half a bagel and put straight in a toaster oven. Once it's golden take it out, drizzle it with good olive oil and a generous pinch of salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder. Now, this doesn't compare to oven-made garlic bread with fresh garlic and herbs but I'll save that for another day. This was an easy day and this garlic toast hits the spot!
If I get sick of eating the same thing after a couple days I'll freeze the rest of the soup individually in single-serve tupperware so it's a fast and easy lunch for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment